Followers

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Craft-Room Challenge - Father/Male

Hiya!  Beautiful Black & White entries last week over at the Craft-Room Challenge - as always it will be so difficult to choose a top 3!  However, it's time to move onto the next challenge, the theme of which has been chosen by the very talented Mervi, and the theme is "Father or Male".  As always there will be a Top 3, and a random winner will be chosen to win a £10 voucher for spending on goodies at the Craft-Room Online Shop

I'm sure I'm not alone in struggling when it comes to making a card or project for a guy!  In the end, I chose to make a paperweight for my brother's upcoming birthday in December:

I used the wooden block from an old mounted rubber stamp (which I will now need to mount on EZ mount!), and painted it a couple of times with brown acrylic then, once dry, a layer of the amazing Eco-Green Glue, then a layer of cream acrylic.  I used a heat gun (from a distance) to slowly dry it and it crackled!  This is a technique that I don't have much luck with!!!  Once dry, a layer of Glue & Seal Matte, then the CI image & sentiment were stamped onto tissue then laid onto the wet glue, and brushed over with more Glue and Seal.  A couple of further coats of G & S , then I coloured the image with neat distress reinkers, added a cog with attached word tiles and a zipper pull coloured with a bit of alcohol ink (to make it look a bit rusty).  I went around the edge of the block with a little frayed burlap, then a little metallic rub on.  My aim was to make it look as aged and old as possible!

I chose the image because my brother always looks after my springer spaniel Jack when I go on holiday - Jack adores him and follows him everywhere!  I hope he likes it, because if he doesn't, he's getting nothing else!!!

Eco-Green Paint, Cog, Alcohol Ink and Distress Re-inkers are from Craft-Room, Stamp is from Crafty Individuals and Metallic Rub On is from Happy Daze.

I did enjoy making this and that crackle is definitely a challenge for me!  Check out the projects by the rest of the Design Team for inspiration as they are fabulous!

I am entering my paperweight into the following challenges:-

Fashionable Stamping Challenge: Coffee and Cream with Dark Chocolate
StampsFun=Creativity: Vintage
Stamps R Us Challenge Blog: Masculine
Addicted To Stamps: Shabby, Shabby Chic or Vintage
Pan Pastel UK:  Distress It
Stamp, Scrap & Doodle: Monochromatic
Simon Says Stamp Challenge: Anything Goes
Moving Along With The Times: No Girls Allowed

Have fun, I hope you like it and I look forward to visiting you to see your fabulous creations.

Maria x

18 comments:

Zoechaos said...

Fabulous idea love how you have layered paint glue and images gives it a lot of depth. Your brother is sure to love it XOXO Zoe

Mervi said...

Hi Maria, this is stunning project, the crackle effect is brilliant;-))m

Debi said...

Maria, I think this is such a great gift idea, and I've just love what you've done with it gorgeous :) Debi x

Unknown said...

What a fantastic idea thanks so much for sharing it with us at PanPastel UK.

Kerry

hazel said...

I love this Maria, it's a brilliant idea and a great gift.
xxx Hazel.

Anonymous said...

This is fab! such an original idea. Thank you for joining in with the PanPastel challenge blog
Lindsay xx

Mishelflos Paper Creations said...

Well, what a fab idea, I know everyone has said it, but it is!

I can just see everyone prizing off the rubber from their old rubber stamps!:)

Absolutely love it!
love
michelle x

craft-roomjulia said...

This is wonderful Maria, and I would say that you have well and truly mastered the crackle technique. This is a lovely male gift, and the way you have made it is so clever. Love it. Julia xxxx

lindyloo said...

Hello Maria
wow what a super creation love it thank you for playing along with us at the PanPastels UK
lindyloo x

Im just me - Marleen said...

What a beautiful card. love it. Thanks for joining in at PanPastel uk
Marleen xxx

Tammy said...

Oh I love this!! Fantastic idea and awesome paperweight!! Thanks for playing along with us at Stamps R Us!
Tammy :)

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Fab creation & what a great idea!

Thank you for sharing with us at MAWTT this week, good luck!
hugs shell xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A great male project, thanks for joining the Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

Anja said...

What a super idea to make a paperweight out of a wooden stampblock.
And yours does even look soooo vintage, just beautiful. Thanks for playing along with us at SFC.
Hugs, Anja

Terry said...

This paperweight is a wonderful birthday gift! Fabulous design and so perfect for a male! Thank you for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges!

Dolly Daydreams said...

One of my favourtie stamps of all time and so beautifully incorporated into this project. I always have problems with my crackling both pork or otherwise but yours my dear is perfect.

Marie

Sande said...

This is fab project!

Thanks for inspiring us at SSDS this week! Hope to see you again soon!

Hugs, Sande xx

Anonymous said...

Hi
Great card you made and like your use of embellishments.
Thank you for sharing with us at FSC.
Wishes
Lynne