Followers

Tuesday 18 September 2012

Childhood Memories - Craft-Room DT

Hiya, over at the Craft-Room Challenge, the last fortnight has flown by and we've seen some fabulous Collage creations, however it's now time for a new theme and it's my turn to choose!  For the next fortnight we would like to see a creation inspired by:

Childhood Memories
 using rubber stamps, photos, etc, 
(but no digi stamps for this fortnight please)

We have a great prize from our sponsor for this challenge (see below) which will be chosen by random draw, and as per usual, there will be a top 3.  Full rules for the challenge can be found here.

I've chosen this theme because I've often bought stamps in the past that have reminded me of a time in my childhood, and then made or altered something which has turned out to be quite special or sentimental - and enjoyed that little trip back into my childhood at the same time!

This is what I have created:

 My mum is from Southern Ireland and each year, we went to stay with my Nanna for our summer holidays.  She lived in a little village with twice as many little pubs as streets, and the beach at the bottom of the front garden (my sister and I spent many a day either on the beach and paddling in the sea, or climbing over the rocks to reach the harbour).  My Nanna was a very small and gentle lady, and with a beautiful voice, she always got up to sing an Irish song in the pub.

So, when I spotted this Chapel Road Artstamps - Whistle Boy - at Port Sunlight last May, I had to buy it.  I've stamped the main image (and The Blarney Pilgrim) in Stazon Stone Grey and lightly coloured with Inktense, and the Tando bird has been coloured with Rub n Buff (Old Gold).  The Tando Mini Theatre Stage (from Crafty Individuals) has had a couple of coats of Gesso then various shades of green Distress Ink added (along with lots of water sprayed and flicked) and some green Perfect Pearls - they used to say no two shades of green are the same in Ireland.  I've done a bit of background stamping using more green Distress Inks, using script (SU) and crackle (CI) stamps.  The little TH bottle is filled with some fine gold stuff, the nearest I could find resembling sand - if I could've bottled the gorgeous smell from the sea when you opened my Nanna's front door, I would have!  Slainte is embossed in gold (and means "(good) health", and is used as a drinking toast).  I've edged the whole thing in more Rub n Buff to finish and added some little roses. 

Our fabulous sponsor for this challenge is:

 who are offering a great prize - thank you!

I hope you find the time to join us, and look forward to seeing your Childhood Memories creations, and hearing what's inspired them.  For more inspiration, please check out the fantastic creations by the rest of the DT.

I hope you like my little memory piece (and that you're still awake, lol!).

Enjoy your week!

Maria xxxxx

p.s. Don't forget, I have a little blog candy here!




13 comments:

Debi said...

This is gorgeous Maria, and I love how its like a little memory box :-) Debi x

craftingwithmabel said...

Oh Maria I don't know what is lovelier, the little trip down your memory lane you took us on or your actual creation. I can just imagine what lovely times you must have had at your Nan's.
Back to your creation though , this is fab, I absolutely adore green, so you already got me there, but the sentiment and how you've pulled all the elements together is perfect. I LOVE the little bottle too!
Keep up the good work XXX

Vicky Hayes said...

What a lovely post Maria and a beautiful piece of work. It sounds as if you have wonderful memories of your holidays with your Nanna by the sea and I love the way you've described it. Vicky x

Mervi said...

Hi Maria, this is really gorgeous, lovely memories;-))m

Jean said...

I love the way you have used your childhood memories to create this lovely piece. Jean x

Zoechaos said...

Goodness your Tando 'stage' is fantastic and what lovely memories you have of your Nana. Terrific challenge thank you XOXO Zoe

hazel said...

This is beautiful Maria and what a lovely way to remember your holidays at your Nanna's.
xxx Hazel.

Suzanne B aka brookfies said...

This is just so lovely and I adore the story behind the piece. Nana's are so important. Wishes, Suzanne
PS...my dad is from Southern Ireland too x

Anonymous said...

Maria, I love that there are memories in this piece of art that are personal to you, that is very special as is this.
Wishes
Lynne

chriscesar said...

Very beautiful memory box, with sentimental pieces! I love the green colour!
Friendly
Chris

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Absolutely beautiful, love the colours and the image
Lindsay xx

craft-roomjulia said...

Hi Maz, first of all so sorry for the delay in commenting, the wedding plans are now taking over, only 5 days off now!!!!!! Thanks for this really nostalgic theme, I really enjoyed making my DT sample for this one. Your artwork, as always, is just beautiful. I love the dreamy blue colours, and the stamped imaged is the perfect companion for the little theatre. Your nanna sounds such a lovely lady. Julia xxxx

Words and Pictures said...

So lovely - the subtle colour on the frame is beautiful, and I love the objects you've gathered for this gorgeous memory box!
Alison x